We’ve all had moments where we looked at a photo and thought, “Wow. I really need to liven this up!” Sometimes, we think, “This picture has no spark to it!” If you’ve had one of these moments, and you want to add some spunk or artistic value to your pictures, Mextures could be the app for you!
WHAT IS Mextures, exactly?
Mextures is an app that allows you to add unlimited layers with different types of editing tools in order to create the perfect picture. You can add different textures, lighting, film grain and gradients. You can fine-tune your picture to make it satisfactory to your needs.
The app also includes numerous filters made by the top iPhone photographers around the world, and you can use them directly on your photos.
SHOULD I USE THIS APP?
You should use this app if you’re looking to upgrade your photos in a unique way. If you want to make your pictures more dynamic and increase their artistic value, then this app is for you.
If you do not really care for editing pictures or changing up the texture of your photos, this app may not be very useful to you.
WHAT DOES IT DO EXACTLY?
It’s amazing how much you can really do on this app. Here is a step-by-step of how this app works:
- When you first open the app it shows you a tutorial. It guides you through a brief overview of the app features while providing visuals.
- After watching the tutorial, I was prepared to start using Mextures and trying to play around with it with my own photo.
- On the home page, you will find options at the bottom of the app such as Manage, Inspire, News and Store. Each one of these tabs will take you to various features of the app. For example, under the Manage tab, you can access the formulas you created and share them with others.
- If you choose the Inspire tab, you can browse work from a number of talented photographers. These images are guaranteed to motivate you to create some masterpieces of your own!
- If you select News, you will see articles relating to photographers and new collections Mextures is bringing to the app.
- If you decide to explore the Store tab, you can purchase cool effects to add to the collection that comes with the app.
- To begin editing, you can either upload or take a picture on your phone. It will also give you the option to use a cropped or un-cropped version of your picture.
- Next, you can begin adding textures and formulas. There are many different textures, such as grit and grain, radiance, light leaks and more. There are also formula categories such as landscape, black and white and those made by other users that you can use.
- After you have started adding different layers, you can pick specific layers you want to see or not. You can add as many layers you want!
- You can also adjust the look of the layer by using fine editing tools such as brightness, contrast, exposure, temperature, tint and more. There also many blending modes, including (but not limited to) soft light, darken and color dodge.
- After you have picked and edited all of your layers, you can save and share your picture. You can also save the formula you used for your photo. You can reuse the formula anytime with another picture!
WHAT ARE THE PROS?
You can add as many layers of filters as you want and change the each one by adjusting different aspects with fine tools. You can use formulas that other users have made, as well as create your own formulas to share. This app allows you to play around with many colors and textures, so you can make your picture pop!
ARE THERE ANY CONS?
This app is a huge upgrade from the filters available on Instagram. However, that’s pretty much the only thing it can offer. There are many filters and editing tools for changing lighting and colors in your picture, but there are no other photoshop tools. You can’t really do more editing, such as cutting an image out and putting it into other pictures or completely transforming your photos.
HOW MUCH DOES THE APP COST?
There is not a free version of this app, and it costs $1.99.
WHERE IS THE APP AVAILABLE?
For iPhone 6s and 6s+, the app has 3D Touch functions on the home screen icon. Another cool thing about this app is that it is constantly adding new film presets and tools, so editing your photos will never become a boring task!